CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 10, 2013

In Loving Memory: Herbert John Peterson--- July 13, 1922 - January 10, 2013

(The following is a series of Facebook posts I made since my Grandfather passed away today.  I posted several memories on a special Family Facebook Page and I wanted to include them on my blog.  All the pictures of my Grandparents, Herb and Wanda Peterson, were taken last summer by my sisters friend Natalie (except this first portrait taken 15+ years ago) and are placed between the various Facebook posts I made.)








Early this morning, my Grandpa, Herbert John Peterson passed away at 90 years old. I have been able to reflect a lot on the lessons my grandpa taught me the past few days in preparation for this time. I will cherish my memories of him. One thing he told me every time I visited was "I sure do love you and I am so proud of you." He loved my grandma with all his heart and he told her that everyday. He always put grandma first in his life and I think he waited until my grandma was ready to let him go. I was able to visit grandpa Sunday night and his face lit up and he smiled at me when my dad told him I was there. I will always remember his face! I am at peace knowing my grandpa has "returned home" and his is with loved ones who have already passed on. My testimony of the plan of salvation has been strengthened today! I love you Grandpa! "God be with you til we meet again!"

I also visited with my sweet grandma for a few minutes this afternoon! What a sweet experience! She loves my grandpa - she misses him already! I love you too grandma!
















Another memory of mine: I would often find grandpa sitting on a high stool in his shop, in blue coveralls (which he always wore), totally ASLEEP sitting up! Sometimes he would wake up if you walked in and other times, I would just walk out quietly and shut the door and let him enjoy his little nap.











Grandpa LOVED going to Sam's Club every Saturday morning! He loved to go and visit all of his "girlfriends" who demoed food there. He knew each and every one of the ladies and they knew Grandpa. One Saturday, about 10 years ago, I went to Sam's Club to do my own shopping and I ran into Grandpa there. Grandpa took me around and introduced me to each and every lady at the Riverdale Sam's Club (of course, we had to sample their food too). He was so proud of me and complimentary as he introduced me as his granddaughter. What a special time! 

Grandpa talked about his lady friends all the time. I always loved how Grandma let him talk (sometimes she would add an "Oh Herb") and I could always tell Grandma knew she was still and always would be Grandpa's #1!

Grandpa always was so proud of his kids and grand kids. He would share the accomplishments of others with the rest of us. Grandpa always made you feel really good about yourself and you always knew he loved you!




Grandpa loved rocks and gems. Whenever I would visit, I usually was given a tour of the gem case in the family room. Grandpa knew the names of every rock and gem and he could tell you a story of where he found the rock or who gave it to him. His rocks and gems were polished to perfection. Grandpa also loved making jewelry, belt buckles and clocks. Grandpa took great pride in his work! He always gave the most beautiful necklaces to Grandma. I remember a beautiful crystal necklace he made Grandma about 12-15 years ago. I still have the necklaces and earrings grandpa made and gave to me. I also have a rock clock Grandpa made Scott and I for our wedding-- a cherished keepsake!



Grandpa also loved taking me on tours of his immaculate garden. We would walk together by each and every row and he would tell me what he had planted, how the plants were doing, how often they needed watered and how long it would be before it was ready to eat. Grandpa planted corn, beets, peas, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, turnips, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, beans, pumpkins, squashes of all kinds (crook-neck, spaghetti, winter, summer, etc.), radishes, etc. If vegetables were ready, he would pick some and send them home with me. Grandpa planted his last garden in 2011! Grandpa was very particular about the care and keeping of his garden!



I have many wonderful memories of grandpa! He loved us all no matter what and he always told me he loved me! 

Scott and I had a sweet experience with grandpa at his 90th Birthday Party in July. When Scott and I went to talk with him, we were commenting how wonderful it was that he had made it 90 years and was pretty healthy. He looked at us, with great love in his eyes and in his voice and pointed over to grandma with his thumb and said, "being married to Grandma for 70 years is a greater accomplishment. Not many people can say they have been married to the same person for 70 years". It was so sweet! I really wish I could have video recorded it! (Grandma and Grandpa had just celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary in June with those of us who could attend at the Timbermine). 

What a legacy of love! We all have wonderful examples of love and commitment! I'm sure grandpa and grandma had their struggles like the rest of us, but they worked together through each and everyone one.

Yesterday, when I stopped to visit Grandma for just a few minutes she said, "Herb told me every day that he loved me. The last few months he told me he loved me 5 or 6 times a day". Another great example to all of us!


I love you Grandpa! I will miss you but I am so glad I know where you are, who you are with and I know I will see you again someday! Families are Forever!






No comments: