CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 4, 2009

A VERY EVENTFUL DAY

This week has been crazy!! Scott has been in North Dakota pheasant hunting and we've had things every night ALL WEEK!!! Today was no different!
My friend Danielle called and asked if I could drive to kindergarten this morning because she wasn't feeling well (which was no big deal at all). I dropped Mallory and Abigale off at school and came home and cleaned the house (I didn't get ready for the day because I planned to get all ready later on right before our Ward Christmas Party--why get ready twice??). Anyway, I decided to make some Cheesy Potatoes to the Ward Party tonight in addition to the rolls I had already purchased and had signed up for. Of course, I was missing one ingredient!! I called Danielle and just told her I would pick the girls up from school because I need to go to the store anyway. I also just told her I would bring Abigale to our house to play and have lunch so she could get rid of her migraine (no big deal- Mallory and Abigale have been wanting to play together all week but with our CRAZY schedule, it hadn't worked out). So, I get the girls home around 11 a.m. and I get a phone call from my Mom saying that Grandpa Wood (almost 89 years old) is in the hospital. Grandma called an ambulance this morning at 4 a.m. because Grandpa was having trouble breathing. Grandma rode in the ambulance with Grandpa and didn't call anyone until after 8 a.m. (so Grandma is sitting in the ER with Grandpa all by herself). My Mom teaches at Tooele High School and when she went to the office to tell the secretary that she might need to leave--another teacher shooed my Mom out and told her to leave right away (Grandma had told her that he was ok and it wasn't a big deal). When Mom called she asked us to pray for Grandpa and she would call after she got to the hospital with an update. Well, I gathered Mallory, Hayley, Brittney and Abigale and we knelt down and said a prayer for Grandpa and for Grandma Wood.

We continue with our day. We ate lunch, Hayley invited a friend over to play with her (Isabella) and Brittney went down for her name. I made my Cheesy Potatoes so I could just pop them in the oven an hour before we need to be at the church. Just as I am sprinkling the corn flakes on top, the phone rings and it is my Mom. She is bawling and she said, "If you want to say good-bye to Grandpa, you had better get up here quick!!" I totally started crying because I have not had anyone close to me pass away. I guess Grandpa had fluid all around his heart and in his lungs. He couldn't breathe and they were going to put him on a ventilator but the doctor said if they did it would help but Grandpa would most likely not make it when they took the ventilator out. He also has heart disease and his kidneys are failing (he has had diabetes for 25+ years). I told my Mom I would find someone to watch my girls and be up as soon as possible. My Mom asked me to get a hold of my sister Aleece who was on her way out of town for her anniversary (which I finally did). My Mom also said that she had asked the doctor if they should call the grandkids to come up. The doctor said, "If it was my Dad, I would call" he basically wasn't expecting Grandpa to make it through. As soon as I hung up with my Mom, my sweet little girls were in the kitchen hugging my legs asking me what was wrong. I told them Grandpa was really sick and Mallory just started crying with me. I just hugged them and told them things would be ok. Sweet little Abigale came up to me and said, "I am sooo sorry about your Grandpa. My Mom and I cried for her Grandpa too". She was so cute and so sincere!

Not even two minutes after I hung up with my Mom, Danielle called to find out when to come get Abigale. She asked how I was and I totally lost it again (luckily I had no make-up on because I was getting ready for the day BEFORE the ward party)! Danielle totally called just at the right moment and she told me to bring my girls to her house and she would watch them while I was at the hospital (she kept telling me she felt better and I'm sure she didn't). Anyway, I had to call Isabella's family to say I was sorry but I needed to bring her home because Hayley couldn't play anymore (Hayley and Isabella had been playing dress-ups and I could not find one of her shoes--I took her home without a shoe with a promise to find it later). I woke Brittney up from her nap dropped my girls off at Danielle's (only Mallory was really put together for the day because we are getting ready for the day before the Ward Party).

I hurried up to the hospital and met my Mom in the hallway. She told me that they hadn't told Grandpa how grave the situation is either. When I walked into the room, Grandpa had a huge oxygen mask on that was blowing air into his mouth and nose and he didn't look good. I gave him a hug and a kiss and told him I loved him. My Uncle Dennis and Aunt Teresa, Uncle Steve and Aunt Vickie and my cousin Curtis were all there in the room besides my Mom and Grandma. I talked to my Grandma for a few minutes and then went out into the hall (there were signs everyone saying a limit of 2 visitors per room--we far exceeded that). While I was in the hall with my Mom, my sister Aleece came, my brother and SIL Jared and Liz came, my Aunt Debbie and Uncle Wayne, my sister Leslie and my sister and BIL Becca and Joe came. A nurse came in and told everyone they had 15 minutes and then they need to clear out so Grandpa could get some rest. I gave Grandpa and Grandma another hug and kiss and decided to leave.

I got back to Danielle's around 4:15 and quickly gathered up my girls so we could all go home and shower before the Ward Christmas Party. I am so grateful that Danielle was willing to watch my girls so I could go to the hospital! We pray all will be well!!

1 comment:

alananddanielle said...

I'm glad your grandpa is doing so much better. What a blessing! I didn't mind watching your girls at all, they're all such sweet girls. And by the way-I really did feel better, thanks to you!