CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Christmas Traditions

Each night, from Thanksgiving to Christmas, we have a few little traditions we like to do as a family.
Basket of Christmas Storybooks
One tradition we have done for many years, is to read a Christmas storybook together. One year, I wrapped them all but we quickly decided we didn't like that--we liked to be able to see the books and choose which one to read. So each night, one of us picks a storybook from the basket to read together. Each year, we give our girls a new Christmas book, so when they leave home, they will each have their own Christmas book collection. So far they have received The Polar Express (with a CD recording), The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, The Littlest Angel, Santa's Book of Names, The Spirit of Christmas, and The Night Before Christmas. Here is a list of some of the books we have (from the year I wrapped them all--which took a very long time):  http://scottanderinropelato.blogspot.com/2010/11/all-wrapped-up.html


Christmas Chocolate Countdowns
Another tradition we have is to do the Christmas Chocolate Countdown. Our girls like it, even if the chocolate isn't the best. We usually eat our chocolate each night while we read and do our other traditions.


I started another thing this year. I bought the book "A Christ-centered Christmas" several years ago and have always wanted to do it. Last year, since we were in a remodeling mess- I didn't even think of starting it.  We are doing a different member of the nativity every few nights leading up until Christmas. I have the little nativity that goes with it (and now have two books--if anyone wants a book, let me know). So far, we are enjoying it!

Names of Christ Ornament: Jesus Christ

Another tradition, which we started last year, is our Names of Christ Ornaments. I found these ornaments on Pinterest a few years back (here is the website:  http://todaysfabulousfinds.blogspot.com/2012/12/diy-printable-paint-stick-ornaments.html
  ) and always wanted to make them. Last year, I decided I was going to make them for my mom, grandma and sisters for our Sister's Weekend (each year we get together for a weekend and we give each other a gift). As I got started making the ornaments, I realized I had bitten off more than I could handle. I told everyone about my gift and asked if it was ok if we made them all together during our Sister's Weekend since we have done crafts together in the past. So I bought all the supplies, cut the paint sticks, drilled the holes, printed the names and began painting as many as I could do before our weekend (I needed 407 paint sticks to do the 11 sets of 37 names). It ended up being a great labor of love. I also created a book to go with the Names of Christ to use each night that has the meaning of each name, a scripture using that particular name of Christ, a song or hymn (if I could find one), a video, quotes, questions to ask, etc. So each night, we pick a Name and learn about it together as a family. I have a list of about 30 more names I want to research and add to my tree this year. Last year I added many names to the ornaments that were not part of the original idea--I was inspired by the Visiting Teaching Messages of 2014 that focused on a name and as I learned about these names--I  just had to add them-- how could I leave out "Advocate", "Friend", "Chief Cornerstone" and "Firstborn" (some names found in "The Living Christ" document found here: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2000/04/the-living-christ-the-testimony-of-the-apostles-the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints?lang=eng )


Here is the information I compiled for the Name of Christ. I found information in the Scriptures, Hymn Book, Children's Songbook, Institute Manuals and lds.org:

ADVOCATE
MEANING:
-Bible Dictionary “One who pleads another’s cause. Jesus Christ is the Advocate with the Father, on behalf of the righteous”
-An Advocate makes intercession for
-The Savior pleads for us, using understanding, justice and mercy. (Ensign, July 2014 VT Message)
-Paraclete (Greek)- an advocate or intercessor (see also BD Paraclete)
-Intercessor, helper, comforter (GR Greek footnote in 1 John 2:1)

SCRIPTURES:
1 John 2:1-2 JST- “My little children, these things I write unto you, that ye sin not. But if any man sin and repent, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”
Moroni 7:28 – “For he hath answered the ends of the law, and he claimeth all those who have faith in him; and they who have faith in him will cleave unto every good thing; wherefore he advocateth the cause of the children of men; and he dwelleth eternally in the heavens.”
3 Nephi 18:35 – “And now I go unto the Father, because it is expedient that I should go unto the Father for your sakes.”
2 Nephi 2:9 -Wherefore, he is the firstfruits unto God, inasmuch as he shall make intercession for all the children of men; and they that believe in him shall be saved.
Doctrine and Covenants 29:5 – “Lift up your hearts and be glad, for I am in your midst, and am your advocate with the Father; and it is his good will to give you the kingdom.”
Doctrine and Covenants 45:3-5 – “Listen to him who is the advocate with the Father, who is pleading your cause before him—Saying: Father, behold the sufferings and death of him who did no sin, in whom thou wast well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be glorified; Wherefore, Father, spare these my brethren that believe on my name, that they may come unto me and have everlasting life.”
Doctrine and Covenants 62:1 – “Behold, and hearken, O ye elders of my church, saith the Lord your God, even Jesus Christ, your advocate, who knoweth the weakness of man and how to succor them who are tempted.”

HYMNS/SONGS:
I Stand All Amazed (Hymns, 193)

QUOTES:
“Let us never lose sight of our Advocate and Redeemer as we walk toward Him, one imperfect step after another.” (Uchtdorf, Dieter F., “Four Titles”, Ensign May 2013, 59).

“I am particularly gratified, and it is of great significance to me, that I may at any moment and in any circumstance approach through prayer the throne of grace, that my Heavenly Father will hear my petition, that my Advocate, him who did no sin, whose blood was shed, will plead my cause. (See D&C 45:3–5.)” (Christofferson, D. Todd, “I Know in Whom I Have Trusted”, Ensign May 1993, 83).

"Jesus is our Advocate with the Father (see 1 Jn. 2:1; D&C 29:5; D&C 32:3; D&C 45:3;
D&C 110:4). The word advocate comes from Latin roots meaning a “voice for” or “one who pleads for another.” Other related terms are used in scripture, such as mediator (see 1 Tim. 2:5, 2 Ne. 2:28; D&C 76:69). From the Book of Mormon we learn that this responsibility to mediate, or make intercession, was foreseen before His birth: Jesus “shall make intercession for all the children of men; and they that believe in him shall be saved” (2 Ne. 2:9). . . Comprehending Him as our Advocate, Intercessor, and Mediator with the Father gives us assurance of His unequaled understanding, justice, and mercy (see Alma 7:12)."  (Nelson, Russell M., “Jesus the Christ: Our Master and More,” Ensign, Apr 2000, 4.)

OTHER PLACES THIS NAME IS FOUND:
From the Living Christ: “I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father” (D&C 110:3–4).

ADDITIONAL INSIGHTS:
Jesus Christ is pleading for each of us to the Father—He knows our hearts and desires best.

D&C 45:3–5. What Is the Significance of the Title “Advocate”?
The imagery of a judicial system is often invoked when the Last Judgment is mentioned in scriptures. Man goes before the “judgment bar” (2 Nephi 33:15), there to be “arraigned” (Alma 11:44) and face God, “the Judge of all” (Hebrews 12:23). As part of that imagery, Jesus is called the Advocate (paraclaytos). In the King James Version of the New Testament, Jesus is called the “advocate” only once (1 John 2:1). The same word (paraclaytos) is used for the Holy Ghost, although it is translated “Comforter” (John 14:16). Thus, Jesus is one Paraclete, or Comforter, and the Holy Ghost is called “another Comforter” (John 14:16). The Greek word comes from para, to the side of, and kalayo, to summon. “Hence, originally, one who is called to another’s side to aid him, as an advocate in a court of justice” (Vincent, Word Studies, 1:486).
In the terminology of today’s legal system, an advocate is a lawyer who pleads another’s cause in a court of law, or in other words, an attorney for the defense. Usually, the attorney for the defense pleads the cause on the basis that the client is innocent; or if guilty, that extenuating circumstances should be considered and mercy extended. At the time of eternal judgment, we will stand before the bar of God accused of being imperfect and unworthy to enter God’s presence, “for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). At that time we have an Advocate with the Father. He will stand beside us to plead our cause before the Great Judge; however, He does not plead our case by pointing to our lack of guilt; rather, it is His own sinlessness to which He calls God’s attention (see D&C 45:4). His perfection and His suffering pay the price to satisfy justice for those of His “brethren that believe on my name” (v. 5). Imagine the indescribable sorrow of standing before the judgment bar with no one to step forward, no one to speak for you. How tragic that some will not come to Him in true faith and repentance so that He can take their guilt upon Him and become their advocate with the Father. (Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual)

QUESTIONS:
 What does Advocate mean?
 What does this tell us about Jesus Christ?
 How does knowing Jesus is our advocate make you feel?
 How can the advocacy of Jesus Christ inspire us to extend mercy and forgiveness to others?

VIDEOS:
“Four Titles” by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf (2:34) https://www.lds.org/youth/video/four-titles?lang=eng
“Jesus Christ is Our Advocate” by D. Todd Christofferson (0:48) https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2012-07-8600-jesus-christ-is-our-advocate?lang=eng

Bible Video “Jesus Warns Peter and Offers the Intercessory Prayer” (4:51) https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2011-10-014-jesus-warns-peter-and-offers-the-intercessory-prayer?lang=eng

No comments: