CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Sunday



I have really been enjoying the Sacrament Meetings in our ward the past few months. There has been a greater emphasis on directing all thoughts and talks to the Savior. Maybe I am just more aware of it now since I used to be in Ward Council planning the topics and speakers, but our meetings have been amazing. I’m not sure if they are more meaningful now since I memorized “The Living Christ” too. Each week during the Sacrament, I try and focus my thoughts on Jesus Christ by reciting this inspired document in my mind—as a review so I don’t forget it and as a reminder of Jesus Christ during the Sacrament when my mind should be on him. “The Living Christ” has really helped me focus my thoughts—I still struggle to keep that focus but “The Living Christ” helps me a lot.

               Today the speakers in Sacrament Meeting were given a specific Christmas Carol to focus on. Before they spoke about the specific song, we sang it as a congregation (or the ward choir sang it). It brought a beautiful spirit to the meeting. The first song was “Away in a Manger”. The one line in the song that really stuck out to me was “and fit us for heaven to live with thee there”. Sister Coombs who spoke about this song read from the December Ensign, Elder Christofferson’s message. It really touched me and spoke peace to me when she read these two quotes from his message:

“I pray at this Christmas season that you might have some sense of the Lord’s regard for your offering, some sense of how you stand in His eyes, some sense of the beloved status you occupy as His son or His daughter. And I pray that knowledge of that status may give you a great deal of comfort, reassurance, and confidence that you are approved in His eyes…
“I hope you will take time this Christmas season to sit for a few quiet moments and let the Savior’s Spirit warm you and reassure you of the worthiness of your service, of your offering, of your life. Sit quietly with that little baby and come away spiritually strengthened and better prepared for all that is going to come later. Let that moment be one of rest and refreshing and reassurance and renewal.

                Great reminders of these to do this time of year.

                The next song was “The First Noel”. I didn’t know or didn’t remember that Noel means Birthday in French—a great reminder that this first birthday was a special one. Brother Coombs read all 6 verses to this song. I wrote down two of the phrases from the whole song that really spoke to me, “Follow the star wherever it went” (I need to follow the Savior wherever He leads me) and “Sing praises to our Heavenly Lord”. Here are all six verses—it was neat reading through them again:

The First Noel
The First Noel the angel did say
Was to certain poor shepherds
in fields as they lay;
In fields as they lay, keeping their sheep,
On a cold winter's night that was so deep.

Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel,
Born is the King of Israel.

They looked up and saw a star
Shining in the east beyond them far,
And to the earth it gave great light,
And so it continued both day and night.

And by the light of that same star
Three wise men came from country far;
To seek for a king was their intent,
And to follow the star wherever it went.

This star drew nigh to the northwest,
O'er Bethlehem it took it rest,
And there it did both stop and stay
Right over the place where Jesus lay.

Then entered in those wise men three
Full reverently upon their knee,
and offered there in his presence
Their gold, and myrrh, and frankincense.

Then let us all with one accord
Sing praises to our heavenly Lord;
That hath made heaven and earth of naught,
And with his blood mankind hath bought


                The last song we all sang was “O Come All Ye Faithful”. I love this song. Brother Johnson who spoke about this song reminded us that the phrase “come and adore Him” is sung 9 times in this song Adore means to like, be fond of, love. The phrase “joyful and triumphant” is a reminder to keep Christ in our life so we can feel joy and happiness.  I need Christ each and every day.

                Scott was given a minute at the end of the meeting to share a thought. He spoke about doing little acts of kindness to others and to offer our goodness to others. I wanted to take this meeting and bottle it all up and share it with others. It was so good and inspiring. It made me want to try harder and be better. I wanted to be a better disciple of Jesus Christ. I love when I feel that way!


No comments: